Friday, 11 September 2026

KDE-Linux is finally working perfectly - even though it's not quite in beta yet

 That's right.  KDE-Linux (that might not be its final name though) is still technically in Alpha development, but I've now done most of the testing I need to get it working for me.  I didn't have to 'fix' anything.  Just had to add a couple of things and learn a few others.  Little differences but they make life much more pleasant for me.

I'll start with a list of the things I really 'wanted' that I already have in KDE-neon.

Colourful stuff in the Terminal.  I've recently migrated from Neofetch in KDE-neon and I use lolcat to make it colourful.  Neither of those were in KDE-Linux, so I had to add them as well as a couple of other command line tools.  I read somewhere that Homebrew (used on Apple Mac systems) could run on Linux, and I found the command to add that to KDE-Linux:

I also wanted to find out why Samba didn't seem to be working for me.  I tried installing Samba from Flatpack, but that made no difference.

SO I did some digging and the command to add Hopmebrew seemed to be simple enopough.  I ran a few commands one after the other that were supposed to install; Homebrew then make sure it 'was' installed and check that it worked.  Looking back through my Terminalk history (Konsole) using the up and down Arrow navigation keys on my keyboard I got the following (as close as I can see):

nux@kde-linux:~] $ /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

nux@kde-linux:~] $     echo >> /home/ross-KDElinux/.zshrc

nux@kde-linux:~] $     echo 'eval "$(/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/brew shellenv zsh)"' >> /home/ross-KDElinux/.zshrc

nux:~] $     eval "$(/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/brew shellenv zsh)"

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install hello

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install hello

Warning: hello 2.12.3 is already installed and up-to-date.

To reinstall 2.12.3, run:

  brew reinstall hello

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install imagemagick-full

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew link imagemagick-full

nux:~] $ brew install samba

nux@kde-linux:~] [1] $ brew install fastfetch

nux@kde-linux:~] [1] $ brew install lolcat


The next thing I did was try:

nux@kde-linux:~] $ /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

nux@kde-linux:~] $     echo >> /home/ross-KDElinux/.zshrc

nux@kde-linux:~] $     echo 'eval "$(/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/brew shellenv zsh)"' >> /home/ross-KDElinux/.zshrc

nux:~] $     eval "$(/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/brew shellenv zsh)"

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install hello

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install hello

Warning: hello 2.12.3 is already installed and up-to-date.

To reinstall 2.12.3, run:

  brew reinstall hello

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew install imagemagick-full

nux@kde-linux:~] $ brew link imagemagick-full

nux:~] $ brew install samba

nux@kde-linux:~] [1] $ brew install fastfetch

nux@kde-linux:~] [1] $ brew install lolcat

The next thing I did was:
fastfetch | lolcat

in the Terminal (Konsole) and I got:














Which pleased me.then I opened my ~/Home directory and found a file called .zshrc
Now, .bashrc controls a lot of little variables you can change in how the various Terminals running bash work in Ubuntu derviatives of Linux that run the bash shell.
KDE-Linux runs the zsh shell and that works a bit differently.

So I made a couple of changes to .zshrc so it now looks like this:

"
# This file sets up some sane defaults and a nicer prompt for ZSH.

# Comment out the lines below to reset ZSH to its default settings.

if [[ -f '/usr/share/zsh/plugins/kde-linux-default/kde-linux-default-zshrc.zsh' ]]; then

    source '/usr/share/zsh/plugins/kde-linux-default/kde-linux-default-zshrc.zsh'

fi

eval "$(/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/brew shellenv zsh)"

fastfetch | lolcat

"

That last line means that every time I start the Terminal it comes up and runs fastfetch in those fancy colours.

I also discovered that there's a Toggle in the KDE-Liinux Settings > Remote Desktop that lets you turn on an RDP Server.
RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol, and that means if you know what to use, you can access a Desktop of a machine that has the RDP Server running, and control its mouse, keyboard and other stuff just as if you are sitting at it.

I've always used something called NoMachine to do remote control of my other computers, but it has reverted back to a subscription model.   Luckily KDE has something called KRDC that lets you Control a Remote Desktop using KDE.
It's not as slick and video is not as seamless as it is in NoMachine, but of all the VNC Apps I tested it is the simplest to use and the one I recommend.

If I want to watch a Video in High Resolution that is living in a folder on another machine while I'm running the KDE-Linux system, I'm lucky because I have options.  My day to day computer monitor is a 55 inch LDE TV about 2 metres from my desk and it connects to a machine running KDE-neon, and to the machine running KDE-Linux.  I can simply use KRDC to remote by Virtual Network Computing into the machine running neon (or vice versa) and the choice is to just click the file I want to watch and view it in a window on a virtual Desktop on my KDE-Linux computer.  Or I can grab the Remote for the TV and switch HDMI ports.  At the moment, switching HDMI ports is the best way if I want Voice and Lips to run in sync.

However, being able to run my other computers from a single desk and use one mouse and keyboard to control however many are connected was a definite requirement.

I'm sure KDE-Linux is going to improve even more as it enters Beta release then eventually the Full Release.  It takes a while to get used to the 'Immutable' Operating system, but it has its strong points.  I'm always going to miss a few things like huge software repositories.  But Homebrew helped me found stuff like Imagemagick, which was no available in Flatpack or Appimage.  And there are thousands of bits of software like neofetch, fastfetch and lolcat that are easy enough to find.
Appimage Hub anf FlatHub work fine and I think Snap does, but I can't vouch for that yet as I haven't tried to install a snap package.

Here's my m93p running KDE-Neon inside aVirtual Desktop window on KDE-Linux:








No comments:

Post a Comment