Thursday 14 May 2020

Mint 19.3 Xfce THEMING


I'm still playing around with Mint 19.3 and there's a new release due next month with some exciting features like a simple file transfer system that was tested a long time ago and is being revived.


I think I have ironed out most of the wrinkles in my move from KDE based Linux back to Xfce using Mint although I'm sure I have more stuff to work out, but the basic aims were:

1 - Move from KDE Plasma back to something that 'feels like' it has less overhead (even it doesn't really).

2 - Retain some of the playful stuff I like such as transparency in some apps and the ability to use Kvantum styling on as many of my qt apps (from KDE) as possible.


3 - Find a theme I like for the GTK stuff.  Preferable not one of the new modern 'flat' themes, and preferably a 'dark' theme to be easier on the eyes with the 55 inch monitor.

4 - Said theme must have big enough borders to grab easily with the mouse, because I am constantly resizing programs to make best use of the large screen.

While I was playing with the wider borders thing, which looked decidedly ugly, I discovered that drop shadows achieved the same thing.  The area of the shadow provides the exra pixel area to grab with the mouse cursor.  I might look weird and playful to have coloured drop shadows - bu tit tells me at a glance which windows are focused at the same time.

5 - I must be able to run xwinwrap for video.


6 - I would 'like to have' have the compositing features I had in KDE/Plasma.


For some reason kwin killed my Mint Xfce.  So I reinstalled Mint 19.3 Xfrce and played with Compiz, and after a few fails, I modified a Metacity theme to give me decent min/max and close buttons on the Title Bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment