Friday 17 January 2020

Coffee grinder spraying coffee Everywhere?

I've been using a Sunbeam EM0480 Coffee Grinder for many years to grind fresh beans for my various beans.  I also have a hand turned grinder for times when I am away from electricity and want to make an espresso or cappuccino.

The one thing that has annoyed me since the day I got the Sunbeam is how messy it is.  Sure, I could grind into a container rather then directly into the portafilter basket, but I like to measure my dose, and the simplest way to do that is directly.

I have got around the problem sometimes by grinding into a deeper basket, then filling the Breville Duo-Temp Pro basket from that.  I always end up spilling ground coffee.

So I thought abo tit and one business card, a pair of scissors and some electrical insulating tape later, I had a solution.

I cut the business card in half and joined it in a circle the size of the inside of the filter basket using some tape, then covered the card completely with tape.



It fitted snugly into the top of the basket.




I simply slip the guide into the basket before I grind the beans


And after I have weighed my 18 gram dose into it, I bash the crap out of it on the counter to settle the coffee evenly, then when I remove the guide I have a nice flat basket of coffee to tamp.

And much, much less cleaning to do.

I thought I was pretty clever coming up with the idea, but then I saw a picture of someone grinding into a Rancilio Silvia portafilter with a metal one.
A quick look on YouTube shows I could have bought one from China for about $7 including freight

Not a problem.  Mine was about 10 cents and some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment