Saturday 23 March 2019

Dolphin File Manager Transparent Background and 3D Theme

23th March 2019
BRIX

I had another small win today with my Kubuntu 18 Desktop.  One of the nice features of the latest Plasma 5 is a blurring effect on translucency in window decorations, menus and panels etc.  My discovery of the Kvantum theme engine has taken this a whole lot further, as seen in yesterday's post, but there was still something missing.
For example I had managed to get the blur effect happening in Plasma 5 some time ago, but found I was getting strange artifacts and horrible display flickering whenever I was using GL 3 or GL 2 to drive the compositor using my inbuilt iNtel graphics on the BRIX.  Xrender was working perfectly for translucency or transparency, but blur needs to be rendered using GL.  I was at a loss.

Here is what Dolphin looks like with 3D buttons and translucency, using kvantum and Xrender compositing:



And this is how Dolphin looks like with 3D buttons and translucency, using kvantum and GL3.1 in compositing:


The blur effect makes it easier to read the text against any light colours in wallpaper (obviously not a worry with this view from my balcony).

After previously trying a failing to find a solution to the screen artifacts and tearing problems for ages, I finally had a reason to explore the various options in the compositor section of System Settings.  I even installed wayland - and that was a serious problem.

Here is what finally worked for me.


System Settings > Display and Monitors > Compositor


Then set the Tearing Prevention to 'Full Screen Repaints'.

Now I have a nice stable desktop again, with all my pretty effects working nicely and videos playing perfectly either Windowed or Full Screen.

I hope this helps anyone with Plasma 5 on a lower end system with an iNtel built in graphics adapter who is having trouble running compositing with GL 3 or 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment