Tuesday 2 October 2018

Linux MInt and decent AUDIO

Like many people, these days I don;t run a separate audio or theatre system.  My main day to day computer since I retired, is a little Gigabyte BRIX and my monitor is a cheap (well under $500) 50 inch HD LED TV.

That gives me great videos and with movies and even YouTube available in HD now, the only thing I was missing was good sound.  For mp3 playback, I have always just chosen an audio program with an equalizer option, but that didn't help with say, playing a music DVD or a movie.

I have a dual sound system made up of a pair of Logitech stereo speaker systems, each with its own Sub Woofter.  That gives me the depth of sound I want  at a very affordable price, since I've had the speaker systems for about ten years.

Today I discovered someone has created a nice equalizer that works brilliantly with PulseAudio, (which is something I always install anyway):

It can be installed by doing the following in a terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-equalizer

As usual, I copied the .deb file in case I ever lose the ppa, or want to remove/ disable it.

Packages you installed manually will be in   /var/cache/apt/archive/  so I just copy them into a software downloads folder.

Once it is installed it will be in the menu under Multimedia.



I modified my settings like the image below for the speaker set I have, but there are plenty of presets to use as a start point.








No comments:

Post a Comment