Thursday 27 September 2018

Mint 19 Tara KDE Screen lock problem (Power Settings)

Ok, so I modified my Mint 19 XFCE to add Plasma 5, and although I had solved most glitches, I still immediately had a problem I could NOT solve.  But today I think I fixed it.

Mint 19 (Tara) XFCE with Plasma 5 installed from Repos, and my usual Transparent Theming applied..   -Photo was taken whilst I was 'relief caretaking' on Brampton Island a couple of years ago.

The screen was locking any time I left the computer for a few minutes.  I had tried ALL the usual power settings both logged into XFCE and logged into Plasma desktop.  To prevent the locking I had to go into the battery power indicator in the System Tray and click on the checkbox to disable power management every tie I booted the computer. I wrote about it in the last blog post.  I had also used an old trick and installed xscreensaver, and disabled stuff in there, to no avail.  It wasn't a big deal, but having to remember to disable Power Management every time I turned the computer on or rebooted was a little annoying.


Today I was thinking about something new I had noticed in the power settings in Plasma.  A 'per Avtivity' Power Management feature that I had not seen before.  So off I went to explore.


The Battery Power icon is left of the 'Down Arrow' (for Show Hidden Icons).  Right clicking on the Battery Power icon shows the choices above.  Choose Configure Power Saving.


That opens the window above.  On the LEFT, choose Activity Settings.




Choose 'Define a special behaviour)  then the next window will open.



Now click the boxes next to 'Never shutdown the screen', and 'Never suspend or shutdown the computer'.



When you are finished it should look like the window above.  Click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

Reboot the system.



I found that the checkbox still showed power management was ON, and I could still uncheck it, but leaving the computer for about 10 minutes at a time, the screen did NOT lock.  A nice change form ot locking every time I left it for about 2 minutes.  I'll update this in a day or two once I know it it is a permanent fix :-)

So now I have a rather nice Mint 19 KDE running Plasma 5.12 with my usual transparencies and my video wallpaper on my activities when I want it.  It is a bit slower than Mint 17.3 KDE, but at least it will be updated to the most recent versions of everything regularly.  As usual, I have Mint 17.3 in one 30GB root partition(using about 14GB)  and Mint 19 in another, just in case something dies.  With my /home in a separate partition.

No comments:

Post a Comment