Friday 25 April 2014

Video wallpaper on KDE and another simple method

I was reading some of the stuff I wrote for my old computer website and found an article I wrote years ago with an even simpler method for video wallpaper than yesterday's tip.



Because back then I found it by accident, and had no intention of ever using video wallpaper because I could not see a use for it, I wrote about it and forgot it.

More recently when I was using two monitors I began looking for ways to do this.  One of the exciting things about chronic fatigue is the ability to forget stuff. Lots of stuff.  Anyway, I forgot the good people at VLC had a button hidden in the settings.

You will need VLC media player installed.

Open VLC then Tools > Preferences and in the left column, at the bottom, under Show settings, CLICK on 'All'
In the new list that opens, scroll to the bottom and CLICK 'Video'
About 3 from the bottom of the 'General video settings' section, put a checkmark in the box next to ( ) Enable wallpaper mode'

Now when you open a video in VLC it should open full screen. If I double click mine it leaves full screen and opens a small video window and another with the playlist and menus. I can drop a folder into the playlist to create a new set of music for looping wallpaper.

Double clicking the current video sets VLC as wallpaper again.

I still make a quick start icon on the Panel containing the following command line:
find Video-Wallpaper/ -type f -exec vlc -f --loop --random --aspect-ratio 2.35x1 -LZ '{}' +

The folder Video-Wallpaper is the folder in /home where I drag links to make a playlist for the the music videos I want to play.

Hope this simple method helps KDE users looking for a really easy way to run video wallpaper.

This should also work in Gnome, and any of the other desktops in Linux, and probably works in Windows and Mac.






Cheers,

RossD.

No comments:

Post a Comment