Saturday 20 July 2013

Odds

This blog is not being used much.  For that matter neither are my Whitsundays blogs at present while I am not sailing.  So maybe I will just write some random stuff here to make use of the space.



For much of my life I was involved with computing.  In the 1970's it involved learning to program, and then learning to fix computers.  In 1980 I moved from Brisbane to Mackay, determined to get away from computers, but I soon found I was one of the very few people in town that had programming and repair experience.  Back then there was not a lot of classroom training available.  We learned on the job.  You either "could" or you "couldn't" understand computers.  I suppose I was one of the lucky ones.  I had a background in electronics since I was about 12 years old, building various radios and things from junk scrounged wherever i could find it.  Record players.  Transmitter/receiver combinations.  There was always something interesting to try.

My early programming experience came from reading the code for a blackjack game, and taking the various pieces, rewriting them to do what I wanted.  I wrote a program to calculate finance and leasing payments for a company I was working for.  Then I wrote some small games and a simple database to go into the finance program.

I was never really interested in programming, and I suppose it showed all through my computing career.  I was always easily bored.  I love a challenge, but I usually find the answers too soon, and move on to the next challenge, before fully exploring the current one.  I have always had a short term life.

I have reached the top of what would normally be a career several times and moved on.  I never completed any of my University degrees.  Just did enough to satisfy myself that I could get passes in the high 90% area, then moved to something more challenging.

After some interesting times as a civilian in services while there was a war happening, I applied to join the RAAF.  Even that bored me, and I stayed about a year.

These days I am trying to come to grips with a different life.  My health after a number of small disasters, doesn't allow me to do most of the things I like to do.  I cannot sail at present until my body and mind get a grip on life again.  My brain is not processing things as it once did.

So I will use this blog to write about the things that have gone from work, to hobby status.

Linux
Graphics
Printing, especially using Dye Sublimation to decorate mugs and fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment